Saturday, February 18, 2017

Valentine's Day 2017

Happy Valentine's Day y'all! Whether you go all out for V-Day or you think it's just a made up holiday, I hope you enjoyed it and got to spend it with somebody you love!


I started off the day with my littlest Valentine. We snapped some cute pictures in her festive outfit before heading out for the day. We grabbed some groceries at Sam's Club and then made our way over to Mike's work for a little holiday surprise! The training that Mike is involved in right now requires a lot of long days and the occasional overnighter. When he has to stay over night, he has his own little bunk set up in the barracks and as a special surprise for the holiday, the Family Readiness Officer (FRO) of his course invited the spouses to come into the barracks and decorate! I can guarantee that I was more excited about the decorations than he was, but Addie and I had a lot of fun and he ended up surprising us as well by getting off work super early! :)


Mike and I really enjoy celebrating Valentine's Day, but I'm pretty sure this is only the second time we've actually been able to spend the day together! In the beginning of our relationship, his first deployment got in the way, then crazy work schedules (both his and mine) kept us from any on-time celebrating. Once we were married and finally lived in the same place, it was a third deployment and then out of state field training that got in our way! This year, even though Valentine's Day fell in the middle of the week and Mike is still crazy busy at work, he was actually able to come home in time for a quick celebration before an early bed time :)

Valentine's Day as parents looks a little bit different than in years past. Our plans included:

Breakfast-for-Dinner
While I tend to do most of the cooking, Mike makes some really fantastic breakfast! His pancakes are always the fluffiest, his bacon the crispiest, and his eggs the yummiest, and on the weekends you can usually find me and Addie delivering him coffee in bed as a bribe to get him in the kitchen! I think the only thing he loves more than cooking breakfast on a Saturday morning is stuffing his face once he's done, so as a sweet treat I wanted to be the one to serve him some breakfast instead of begging him to cook it! Our dinner included heart shaped buttermilk pancakes*, scrambled eggs, crispy bacon, and mimosas - of course! And as an added bonus, breakfast for dinner means eating in our PJ's! ;)

*Another successful Pinterest recipe! Seriously, these pancakes were so fluffy and SO good. I left out the cinnamon and added a little extra vanilla ;)


Gift Exchange
Now that we have Addie, we tend to spend our extra money splurging on her instead of each other. Of course we absolutely love spoiling our girl, but it's nice to have a chance to spoil each other (and only each other) every once in a while too! Mike has an ever-growing Amazon wish list that I always turn to when I need a gift idea, and he never fails to surprise me with his incredibly thoughtful gift-giving! This year he surprised me by remembering THIS basket I mentioned wanting in a random off hand comment while we were watching tv. My sweet hubby went into Target and wandered around solo until he found exactly what I had described and brought it home as my Valentine's surprise - he's a keeper! Now I'm on the hunt for some cute throw pillows to sit on top of it, but that's a whole different topic.

Early Bedtime
The cherry on top of most of our plans lately! ;) Even with Addie's sleep habits constantly improving, I am one tired mama and Mike is equally exhausted from work. One of our favorite things at the end of a long day is to curl up in bed together with Lou warming up our feet. More often than not, Mike ends up the little spoon and if he's lucky, I'll throw some back tickles in as a bonus! We actually stayed up a liiiittle bit later than we usually do (we went to bed at 9:30 instead of 8:30) but I'm pretty sure it's still early by most people's standards!

And that sums up our low key Valentine's Day! It may just be a cheesy, made up, Hallmark holiday, but I will gladly jump at any opportunity to celebrate loving my guy ;)


Happy weekend everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment